Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Anastasia Brows In Bloom Product Review!


I willingly admit that I have a complete (albeit compulsive) obsession with eyebrows. I don't deny this. If I see a pair that I don't like, I can imagine how I'd reshape them. I have done the brows of others, but no other tweezer wielding hands have touched mine. This is not allowed. Now I am not claiming that I have the perfect set of brows, but I like how I do mine. The weird thing for me is that, when I look in the mirror, my brows appear to be symmetrical but in photos they aren't! It's the strangest thing. Totally makes me paranoid of what people see when they look at me! The problem, I recently learned, is that when I groom my brows, I have a habit of tilting my head up slightly. Little did I know that this tiny movement is throwing off the symmetry of my brows! I have to literally stop and force myself to look straight into the mirror. Okay, enough brow beating *wink*...on to the review.

Let me start by saying that I can remember exactly what products I've used on my brows. The reason is because I don't change often, especially if what I am using is working fine. Here's the timeline: As a teenager, I first was plucked at the ripe age of 14 by my aunt. From there, I maintained them but didn't know about filling them in until I was about 17 or 18. Around that same time, I first noticed that The Body Shop had their own make up line. I wasn't really into makeup just yet, but wanted something more for my brows than just tweezing so I figured I'd start at a place which offered natural products, this is where I met...

Eyebrow Makeup 03 Shade: Brunette and Dark and angle brush




Can you believe I still have them! I won't date myself by telling you all how old they are! But they're old and a bit beaten up! Once I got wind that The Body Shop was discontinuing this particular product, I knew I had to find a new favorite or be SOL. So in my quest, I found...

$26.00 Retail

I worked with it for a while, but it was way too pigmented and my brows looked too heavy. Very Katrina Babushka-esque. My sister loved it though and it became hers. After that, I was in between a brow specific product and improvised with MAC E/S Embark until I was introducted to...


$16.00 Retail

I have been using it for a couple of years with absolutely no complaints. I adore it, but thought I'd try something new when I took down this product during my recent stakeout score...



$28.00 Retail
$12.99 @ TJ Maxx

I have been using everything in this palette except for the Highlighter Cream (seems a bit too gold for my skin tone) for a solid week and I think the powder is comparable to the MAC Eyebrow Shader. Its pigmentation is just right, not too heavy or sparse. It applies easily with the Wax Cream included. The Wax Cream is just that, creamier than most eyebrow waxes. It acts as a hair tamer and powder adhesive at the same time. I only use the included stubby brush to apply the Wax Cream. I like the stiffness of the bristles, it's like a comb and helps put unruly hairs in place although it makes me feel like a giant hefer trying to use Barbie pretend beauty tools. I prefer the MB York #3 brush to apply the powder. For me, the softer natural bristles are far more accurate for application than the stiff synthetic bristles. All in all this product gets two raised brows! (How corny, I know) I would definitely drop retail dollars for this product again as well as venturing in to other products of the Anastasia line. Here is what Anastasia' Brows in Bloom has done for my brows...

Update 09/19/08: So I finally got around to testing out the Highlighter Cream and, as suspected, the color was much too gold for my skin tone. I also didn't like how it applied, a bit wishy washy to me. I almost shined the cream off altogether until I realized I had packed the wrong eyeshadow base! Pink Couture instead of Beige-ing for the neutral palette I was planning. Then I had an, "a-ha!" moment, and thought I'd try the Highlighter Cream. Lo and behold, the product does very well to pick up color and adhere the eyeshadow powder. The gold base also gave the color a three dimensional tone. So I don't recommend the Highlighter Cream as a color on its own, but it is great as a golden cream color base.

No comments: