Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Did you know?

I paid a much needed visit to the dermatologist the other day and walked out of the office with a bag full of freebies as well as some tips and tricks! You can bank on these tips because they're straight from a practicing dermatologist!

For example, did you know that good ole Vaseline is the perfect conditioner for eyelashes?


Who'da thunk it? Well, because of its safe ingredients, it's perfect to use around sensitive areas, such as our eyes. The skin surrounding our eyes are the thinnest and most prone to irritation but Vaseline can be applied topically with no discomfort. I am definitely giving this a try.

What else did I learn? Ceramides are great for trapping moisture where it counts most, on our skin! Buying skin care products containing ceramides can greatly improve skin's condition. But, wait, what are ceramides??

"Ceramides are natural lipids (fats) and a major component of skin structure. These fats allow skin to retain moisture. Moisturizers and other beauty products contain synthetic ceramides to replace those lost in the aging process". - www.webmd.com

The doctor recommended 3 products known for their ceramide technology. Here they are from most expensive to least. The doctor also said that the lower the product cost; the less the ceramide content.

$14.97 - $15.99/16 oz

"CeraVe is the only skin care line with unique, patented Multivescular Emulsion [MVE] delivery technology that was only available before in a prescription formulation". - www.CeraVe.com

According to the doctor, this is the best of all ceramide products because it has the most ceramide content which also makes it the most expensive product.

Next we have Cetaphil's new sensation, Restoraderm.



$14.99 - $15.99/10 oz

"Cetaphil® RESTORADERM® Skin Restoring Moisturizer with patented Filaggrin technology™ and ceramide technology is formulated to hydrate and soothe very dry, eczema prone skin. Developed to help replenish and protect the skin’s natural moisture barrier, this nourishing moisturizer offers gentle yet effective hydration for dry, itchy skin. Free of fragrances, parabens and nut oils, Cetaphil® RESTORADERM® Skin Restoring Moisturizer is easily-absorbed and is for anyone three months of age and older with eczema-prone skin. Used after cleansing with Cetaphil® RESTORADERM® Skin Restoring Body Wash, it helps repair the skin’s barrier as part of a dermatologist-recommended, daily skin care routine for the management of eczema". - www.cetaphil.com

Although Cetaphil is formulated for those with sensitive skin, the doctor said that some people have reported a slight burning with use of this product. Why? Because Cetaphil has the highest content of alcohol of all these products.

So, of these products containing this miracle ingredient, the cheapest is Curel.


$4.99 - $8.99/20 oz
"Curél® - The Ceramide Difference. Our ceramide-rich formulas work similarly to the natural ceramides found in skin. Locking in moisture for all-day hydration, Curél® lotions and creams not only relieve irritated and dry skin instantly, but also replenish and repair skin by forming a protective barrier and keeping future irritants out". - www.curel.com
As soon as I left the doctor's office, I bought CeraVe for my daughter because she has had a bad reaction to her clothes being washed in Tide. Which, by the way, is the number one irritating detergent in the US. Next are Gain and Cheer. I was told that Costco would have it for cheap, but our Costco didn't carry it so I went to Walgreens. When I was there I also saw Curel on a BOGO sale so I snagged a couple bottles for myself to test drive. I have super dry skin and nothing found in the stores so far can do the job. There is no strong fragrance and it keeps my skin moisturized pretty much as it promises; 24 hrs/day. Let me say that I cannot believe that I bypassed Curel all this time for the more expensive brands! I am a believer! I love this lotion and I love ceramides! And so will you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thank u for a very fresh idea. I am wondering why i have never though of this as well. I will definately try to use your blog for getting some more fresh info!

Thanks!

All the best, A
my site